Tuesday, March 22, 2011

FINALLY! A New Car Seat Cover...

About a month ago, we decided to break out one of the carseats we had sitting in the shed. It's perfectly suitable for infants up, but we generally used it when they outgrew the infant carrier seat. But with me traveling to Pocatello 4 days each week with Brianna and Aedan, it was becoming a pain in the rear to change the car seat base all the time between the car and the Tahoe. So we decided to get the bigger seat out and put it in the Tahoe.

That was all fine and well until I saw the dang seat. I have no idea what possessed me to store it looking the way it did, but it was GROSS. It had food and melted crayon all over. We used it a couple times with a blanket under her bum, but it just wasn't cutting it for me. So I decided to follow this tutorial from Make It and Love It, and refashion a new cover for the seat.

Wow. What a project. It went really well the first day that I tore into it. All the individual pieces looked perfect as I put them together. But, being an imperfectionist (yes, I made that up) when it comes to sewing, the execution of putting them all together was not great...exactly. To make matters worse, the seat cover I was using for a pattern was not much better, and the sides were not well designed...they never stayed on the seat. So by the time I got to the point of adding sides to make the whole thing stay on the seat....well, I kinda gave up. :-) It's been sitting in our dining room, a nasty carcass of a car seat, ever since.

Until today. Drumroll...Okay, don't do that. It's not that great. But it's done. And I like it about a hundred times better than the old nasty one! (I can't find the pictures I took of the old one, so I guess you'll just have to imagine it.)

4 comments:

  1. Great! Wanna come do our infant seat now? I won't need it until we have another kid, so you have at least a year or two to get it done:)

    Where did you get that green flower fabric? I love it!

    ReplyDelete