Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 2, the Redwood Forest and Gold Beach

Sunday morning we got out of bed early and hit the road for Northern California. Destination: The Redwood Forest. My family went to both Crater Lake and the Redwood Forest when I was around 10 years old, and I was so excited to see these ginormous trees again. Now, I don't know if it's cause I grew up, or if we were in a different spot, but it just wasn't what I remembered! It was still extremely cool, and the kids and Brett enjoyed it, but it wasn't quite what I was planning on. Anyway...

This redwood had fallen across the road at some point in the past. Rather than remove it, they just cut out the section across the road. It was taller than our car!

Of course, the traditional family photo stretching across a giant redwood! Now I just need to dig out the photo from when Mom and Dad took us.



Aunt Amy should recognize the Tinker Bell coloring book Kylee's got a grip on here...thank goodness for Tinker Bell!






After we'd had our fill of redwood trees (it didn't take long. The air under all those trees is so heavy, it was hard to breathe!) we got back in the car and finished the drive to Gold Beach, our first stop on the coast.

This is the outside of the little "cabin" we stayed in at Gold Beach. Really just a very small single-wide trailer, but it was at the back of a campground, so it was in a nice setting.

The living room (gotta love all the floral prints):

and kitchen:

1 comment:

  1. I totally remember the family photo in front of the redwood!!! Glad Ky liked her birthday gift :)

    ReplyDelete